For as long as I can remember, I have been extremely interested in politics. Maybe it was something about growing up in Virginia & trips to the White House/Washington, D.C., but even in 5th grade, I was adamant about running & winning for SCA President. My favorite subjects are writing & history. Those were my specialities for teaching middle school-language arts & social studies. During my college years at UGA, I wrote an essay in my Political Science class that my professor told me was one of the best pieces of writing he had ever read from one of his students. Passionate about politics, I am! I don't think Brandon was as passionate, but as he has grown older and is a business owner, he got a lot more interested in what would be best for not only our family, but our country. We were born into the Ronald Reagan & Nancy era & I was fascinated with them by age 3. Seriously. I loved all the Bush Family, Barbara, Laura the librarian, the general wholesomeness of The Republican party.
However, through the years, I have found myself, and Brandon moving closing to the middle. We have several close friends who are gay. Before I had close friends who were gay, I was 100% in the republican mindset that marriage is meant for the sanctity of a man and a woman. After all, that is what the bible says. However, that was before I had gay friends. Who the heck am I to say who they are married to or in a relationship with? I am all about being being healthy, happy, prosperous, & fulfilled in life. You only get one life, so you should be happy in it! Healthcare-wow, did I have to do some research. We own a family business & have no dental insurance & pay crazy $ for our healthcare. Obama's plan sure seemed to sound good. But so does Romney's plan for taxes. This election was extremely hard for me to actually tap the button for Mitt Romney. Normally, it takes me .5 seconds to go through and click Republican all the way down the ticket. This time was different. I felt as though I was voting to take away a freedom, a luxury from some of my friends. I felt guilty. There are things we don't like about Obama. There are things we don't like about Romney. There are things we like from BOTH candidates. Big difference from how I felt voting for McCain in 2008-I was all in 100%! When it came down to it, it is a right & privilege to vote-people literally DIED so we could have this right and to not exercise your right to vote is frankly, unacceptable as an American. I'm proud we voted, even though I could see views from both sides, you have to do what is right for your family, future, & children. In the meanwhile, I am getting excited about the polls coming in so far, but will be much more empathic this year towards the other party from this election year on.
![]() |
| Gotta love the innocence of childhood |
In much lighter news, I had a fabulous day off with my sweet boys! We hung out in our pajamas and cleaned for 4 hours before the housekeepers arrived. Funny how that works, right? Organized for 4 hours & did laundry together. Then we had a CFA lunch date & went shopping for some toys & crafts. The boys have a Turkey project due Friday & we started night 1 of the project-painting! When we did Rose/Thorn for the day, all 3 of us said painting our turkeys was the best part of the day!
![]() |
| CFA Lunch date! |
![]() |
| Jax had a sick day Monday, but he sure seemed fine when he got to go to brunch with Mama & Daddy at J. Christopher's! |
![]() |
| Turkey Project-Day 1 (have faith, I have a plan!) |




No comments:
Post a Comment